In order to assist travellers to meet requirements of the laws of some countries of destination, the Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration strongly advises travelers as follows regarding travelling with children under the age of 18:
- Travellers should at all times carry unabridged (full) birth certificates of the children, in addition to the children's passports;
- Adults travelling with children that are not their biological children should be in possession of an affidavit (sworn statement deposed to before a commissioner of oaths) from the child's parents consent that the child may travel with the particular traveller;
- When a child is travelling with anyone other than his or her own parents, the traveller should have copies of the identity documents / passports of the parents or legal guardian/s of the child. Contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child should also be at hand.
- If a child is travelling with only one parent, the other parent should, by way of affidavit, provide consent for the child to travel with the other parent.
- Where applicable, travelers should be in possession of a death certificate of the other parent registered as a parent of the child on the birth certificate.
- Any unaccompanied minor may be required to produce:
- Proof of consent from one or or both his or her parents or legal guardian, as the case may be, in the form of an affidavit for the child to travel,
- letter from the person who is to receive the child, containing his or her residential address and contact details where the child will be residing;
- a copy of the identity document or valid passport and visa or permanent residence permit of the person who is to receive the child; and
- the contact details of the parents or legal guardian of the child.
Queries can be forwarded to the Public Relations Office, Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration, Tel: 061 292 21 69, 081 125 36 74 e-mail:
It is our wish that all travellers may pass through our borders and the other contry's borders with no difficulties. We wish all travellers a joyous and safe journey.